Menstruation, commonly known as periods, is the monthly shedding of the uterus lining. The menstrual blood is partly blood and partly tissue from the inside of the uterus. It flows from the uterus through the cervix and comes out of the body through the vagina.
Women start menstruating at the average age of 12. However, one can begin menstruating as early as the age of 8 years or late as 16 years.
Menopause occurs at 45-50 years when the female body stops ovulating. After which one can no longer become pregnant.
Some of the symptoms of menstruation are –
- Trouble sleeping.
- Food cravings.
- Cramps in the back or lower abdomen.
- Breast tenderness.
About the Menstrual Cycle
The menstrual cycle is the sequence of events that occur within your body as it prepares for the possibility of pregnancy each month. The pituitary gland and the ovaries release certain hormones during periods. It causes the organs of the reproductive tract to respond in certain ways. The specific events that occur during the menstrual cycle are :
- The menses phase
- The follicular phase
- The luteal phase
However, periods can get late too. There are several reasons why periods can be late, and the most common reasons are:
- Stress – If a person is stressed, their menstrual cycle can become longer or shorter. And the periods may stop or become more painful. To avoid this stress, one must regularly exercise. Running, swimming and yoga can help the body to relax.
- Sudden weight loss – Excessive weight loss can cause the periods to stop. Severely restricting calorie intake stops the production of hormones needed for ovulation.
- Taking the contraceptive pill – Certain types of contraception – the progestogen-only pill (POP), contraceptive injection and intrauterine system (IUS) can cause periods to stop altogether. However, the Best Gynecologists in Chennai suggest that it should return when these types of contraception are avoided.
- Pregnancy – Pregnancy is a common reason why periods are late or unexpectedly stop. It sometimes happens if the contraception used fails. It is essential to be aware that pregnancy can occur even on the days after the period is due. It can happen if ovulation is delayed due to illness or stress.
- Menopause – As menopause approaches, oestrogen levels start to decrease, and ovulation becomes less regular. After this, the period stops completely. Menopause Treatment in Chennai offers Hormone therapy, which aims to replenish the falling hormone levels.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) – Polycystic ovaries contain a range of harmless follicles, which are underdeveloped sacs in which eggs develop. For a woman having PCOS, these sacs are often unable to ovulate. PCOS is prevailing and affects about 4 in every 10 women in the country.
Irregular menstruation requires treatment. It can help in treating irregular menses. Besides that, the best gynaecologist doctor can provide the best medical treatment depending on the underlying cause of the delay in periods.
Gynaecologists in Anna Nagar have treated many women with irregular periods. They are known for providing suitable treatment options to women that also keep them healthy.